The Oil Sands Discovery Centre is reopening on Saturday, June 20.
Preparing for your visit:
As we re-open the Oil Sands Discovery Centre to the public, we ask you to work together with us to keep the centre a safe space for yourself, for all visitors, and for our staff. Please read below for further details on what to expect when you visit.
What we are doing to keep you safe:
- Limiting visitor numbers (maximum occupancy of 70 visitors at a time).
- Please be aware that there may be a delay in entering the Discovery Centre if we are at capacity.
- Encouraging distancing with signage, spacing 'dots,' and route markers.
- Providing physical barriers such as Plexiglas shields in customer service areas.
- Closing hands-on, interactive exhibit elements that cannot be thoroughly cleaned throughout the day.
- Providing access to hand sanitizer and hand washing facilities.
- Increasing cleaning and disinfecting throughout our facility.
What we are asking of our visitors:
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Please bring and wear your own non-medical face mask. (Note that we will not be providing masks to visitors.)
- Practice good hygiene. This includes washing your hands, for at least 20 seconds, regularly during your visit, avoiding touching your face, and coughing or sneezing into your elbow.
- Keep your family unit together when walking through the museum, and keep children within reach at all times.
- Please be patient – don't crowd around exhibits. Practice physical distancing guidelines, keep 2 metres away from others, and please wait your turn.
- Download and utilize the ABTraceTogether app.
- Explore the exhibit hall by following a marked one-way route.
- Please be prepared to pay for your visit with debit or credit card.
- Our exhibit hall is open, with certain areas or displays closed off.
- The Industrial Garden is open. We ask visitors to maintain physical distancing while exploring our outdoor exhibits.
- Our gift shop is open, with restrictions of three visitors at any time to support physical distancing.
- Displays and areas of the exhibit hall that cannot be thoroughly cleaned throughout the day have been closed off, including the cab of the big truck and portions of the Play Lab.
- Our theatre is currently closed for construction.
- We are not offering educational programs, school trips, group visits, or summer camps at this time.
- High-touch amenities are not available. This includes vending machines and water fountains.
- Facility rentals will be limited to comply with physical distancing, group gathering, and maximum occupancy restrictions. For more information, please contact the Wood Buffalo Economic Development Corporation at Marie@explorewoodbuffalo.ca.
The safety of all visitors and staff is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the situation and will determine if additional precautions are needed.
We ask that everyone continue to follow alberta.ca/covid19 for the latest information on this situation. For information in a variety of languages please visit alberta.ca/covid-19-information-posters.aspx.